How many days till Christmas? This is a question I'm sure a lot of you hear as it gets closer and closer to Christmas. Combine your answer with a little bit of math practice by making a wooden advent calendar for your kids. It's learning made fun!
Make learning fun by combining math with Christmas excitement. Teach your children to count from 1 - 25 and from 25-1. Teach them to figure out how many days are left until Christmas by using subtraction.
You can do all this by making an interactive Christmas calendar for your children. It's as easy as punch so let's get on with the craft tutorial.
Before you begin make sure that the piece of wood you plan to use is straight and has no bends or warps in it. Also make sure that the wood is clean and completely dry before you begin your craft project.
1. If your piece of wood is straight, clean and dry then you are ready to begin. To start, take your piece of wood outside and spray paint it with the black chalkboard spray paint.
2. Let this sit and dry. You want it to be completely dry before you continue. When
the paint is completely dry grab a pencil and start drawing your design on the
wood. Be sure to leave room to insert the countdown numbers.
*Feel free to use stencils to do this - I did!*
3. Once you have your design drawn it is time to paint. Use whatever colors you like, it's your project.
4. After all the paint dries go back and outline everything with the Metallic Sharpie marker. I do this to give the design more definition and make it "pop."
5. Now all that is left to do is write your countdown number using chalk.
That's it. You're done. Wasn't that easy? Now each day you can erase and add numbers to your Christmas advent calendar, and have your children practice math too. Have fun!
Here are some other craft ideas you might like.
Just click on the picture to view the craft.