Everyone loves a Yuletide goodie! Presents are fun to give and receive, but they can also be stunning holiday decor. So spruce up your home this year by making an eye-catching Christmas present like this one.
I have to admit that I am very proud of this craft. I think it turned out beautifully and I can't wait to display it in my home this holiday season.
Isn't it amazing that a chunk of scrap wood can be transformed into a stunning Christmas decoration like this? Are you excited and eager to start creating your own Yuletide Goodie? I bet you are so let's get started!
1. Start by taping off the design you wish to use. I wanted to make a present with a ribbon on it so I taped the shape of a cross on my piece of wood.
2. Set up your double boiler. Put some wax paper in the bottom of the top pot to keep the wax from sticking to it and ruining it.
3. Put the crayon shavings in the top pot and melt them.
* Note: I tried a few different ways to melt the crayon shavings.
a. microwave -- I put the shavings in a microwave safe dish and then put them in the microwave for 70 seconds. Absolutely nothing happened. The shavings didn't melt at all and I was uncomfortable putting them in the microwave longer so I abandoned this idea.
b. hairdryer -- The hairdryer did melt the wax but it took a very long time and kept overheating. It was also very very hot to the hands! I abandoned this idea because I felt it was unsafe to keep using a hairdryer that was overheating.
c. double boiler -- This way was definitely the easiest and worked the best. I recommend using this method to melt crayon shavings.
4. When the wax has melted dip your paint brush in and start applying it to the piece of wood. The wax hardens quickly so you will have to reheat it every couple of minutes.
*Tip -- As you paint the wax on the board blow a hairdryer on the paint brush. This makes applying the wax much much easier because it keeps the wax in liquid form long enough to spread it well.
5. Keep performing step number 4 until the piece of wood is completely painted.
6. When you have finished painting let the wax dry thoroughly then remove the tape.
7. Paint the area that had been covered by the tape.
8. Let the paint dry completely. Then use the hot glue gun to adhere the bow and berries to the craft. Be creative and glue them wherever you like.
Now step back and take a look at the Yuletide Goodie you have created. What do you think? It wasn't that hard to do, was it?
Pat yourself on the back for a job well done and enjoy your homemade Christmas present.
Here are some other craft ideas you might like.
Just click on the picture to see the craft.